Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Strawberry "Cheesecake" Ice Cream Pie

I love cheesecake.  It was my birthday dessert request for many a year and it was my wedding cake.  I LOVE it. 

Back at Christmas, I made an amazing peppermint ice cream pie following Jenae's directions over here at I Can Teach My Child!  I figured you could take her basic recipe and change out flavors and come up with some other delicious ice cream pies.  When I saw some Edy's ice cream on close out at the store last week, I decided I would try a strawberry cheesecake ice cream pie.

And it was a total success (and super easy!). 

Here's what you need:


a block of neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese), a carton of strawberry ice cream, a container of cool whip, and a graham cracker pie crust (not pictured).

Here's how you do it:

Cut the block of cream cheese in half and put one half out to come to room temperture.  If you can be that patient.  If it's only softened a bit, you'll be fine.  You may also want to let the cool whip and ice cream soften slightly. 

Dump that softened half block of cream cheese in your mixing bowl with half the carton of ice cream and the whole container of cool whip.  Either use your mixer with a paddle attachment or a lot of arm strength to mix until everything is, well, mixed up.  Then pour that deliciousness into your pie crust and put in the freezer for at least two hours. 

The store bought pie crusts come with a plastic lid thing-y that I flip over to cover the pie in the freezer. 


You can garnish with some strawberries or whipped cream.  Yum!

Let me just say that this isn't particularly healthful, but I did use low fat cream cheese, light ice cream, and lite cool whip and it's still really good.

I think in the summer this would be yummy with peach ice cream and that chocolate or coffee ice cream in a chocolate crust would be really good too. 

Linking up to:
Catch a Glimpse Button

Whipperberry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH My Goodness! This looks so good. Papa's favorite is and has always been cheese cake too! Another yummy recipe from You.
Thanks,
Dassa

Anonymous said...

Yum!Great recipe.
Love, Mom

Shaun and Anna said...

Hmmm...I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this post!! lol