Wednesday, July 27, 2005

You asked for it; you got it - tons of pics from our trip to VA

Warning: this posts contains very many pictures. It may just make you want to plan a vacation in Virginia too (it's for lovers, after all.)

Yes, I am pale, but happy to be soaking up the sun! (With my SPF 30 applied liberally.)
I guess this one is self-explanatory. If it's not, well, this is Matt and me on the beach.
Pretty, pretty beach.
Nana and Dado were very gracious hosts. Someday we'll discusse how Nana is a food-pusher. Aren't they cute?
We visited Yorktown, where the battle that pretty much won the Revolutionary War was fought. Matt poses with a canon.
The restaurant where we ate lunch was built in the early 1700s. They had really good carrot cake.
Matt pretends to be colonial.
If you look carefully between the windows on this house, you'll see a Revolutionary War canon ball! This is the home of Thomas Nelson, the third governor of Virginia and a true patriot. He told troops to fire on his own mansion because he suspected British officers were using it. He also gave almost all his money to help fight the war and then died a pauper. His grave was unmarked until recently.
The battlefield is still a lot like how it was during the Revolution. These aren't the original canons, but they are period. We could really picture George Washington, Lafayette, and Alexander Hamilton fighting here.
My Uncle Rick and Aunt Pami were kind enough to take time off work and take us out on their boat - down the Potomac River past Mount Vernon and Fort Belvoir, and into D.C. We stopped for lunch in Old Town Alexandria.
Just to prove we really were there, on the Potomac River, here's a shot of the Washington Monument.
Later in the week, we visited the WWII memorial. It's so big and moving and well-planned that our pictures don't really do it justice.
We really wanted to visit the memorial because Matt and I both had a grandfather fight in WWII. My Grandpa was in the Pacific, flying with the Black Sheep Squadron. Matt's Granddaddy was in Europe.
Matt, me, and my Aunt Linda at the front of the WWII memorial. We also went to the new Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian, but I didn't get any pictures there.
This is how I looked whenever I remembered, "Hey, I got a real job!", since I got the phone call on our way into D.C.
This is what we came home to. Rainey (the cat) chewed the bottom off of his disciplinary water bottle. We haven't found the bottom yet. We are now using small dollar store water pistols for disciplining Mr. Mischievious. (I won't even start on the horrible new cut on my leg from his super claws.)








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We loved all the pictures!! And laughed a lot at Rainey's destruction of the disciplinary bottle!