Thursday, January 04, 2007

happy about history

I'm suffering from a cold, but I wanted to express my feelings about Nancy Pelosi being sworn in as Speaker of the House. I don't know much about her, but I am so pleased that a woman will be in this important position. I heard a quote from her today about this being a part of America's heritage AND hope of equality. I like that - we have a rich history of striving for equality, but we're not quite there yet.

As someone who has chosen a career as an advocate for children, I am impressed with a couple of things she did today. I heard that she invited all the children in the house chambers (is that what it's called?) to come up and touch the gavel. It's great that she thought to let kids get tangible with a piece of history. I'm also pleased that she's making raising the minimum wage a priority. At my libraries, I see children from "working poor" families I know will benefit from this. America is such a wonderful country, full of freedom and opportunity, and I think we have to be serious about ensuring a living wage for people who are working for their families.

So, today, I'm thankful that girls (little and big) have another example of an accomplished woman going where no woman has gone before. I'm praying Nancy Pelosi will be a leader of partnership and integrity - that she'll be someone worth looking up to.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Well said, Mo! Thanks for keeping some of us clueless ones informed of the news.