Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Article by Marylaine Block about bookstores and libraries

Ex Libris--an E-Zine for Librarians and Information Junkies -- issue 201

Someone on one of the listservs I receive posted this article about the differences between bookstores and libraries and what libraries can learn from bookstores. I found it interesting and really like Ms. Block's suggestions for library promotion.

One of the things that still makes me want a real library job is the opportunity for promotion. (One of the others is collection development - I enjoyed every second I spent selecting and ordering materials at my last job). I get excited and inspired just thinking about displays and marketing reading. Far too many libraries simply stick the materials on the shelves and do almost nothing to entice users to, well, use them. In fact, some libraries, including the public library I now frequent, act like my unquenchable desire for books, books, and more books is troublesome. Sigh.

My perfect librarian job would have this title: Collection Development and Promotion Librarian. I would select and order materials, create materials displays, do some public relations and marketing, develop special events and programs, and, for good measure, do a children's storytime every once in awhile.

Unfortunately, I have never heard of a job like this anywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. We have begun displaying more of the young children's collection and it seems to have spurred on a lot of interest. Plus we don't have so many misshelved items. Now we need to work on the adult and j sections.