Thursday, September 30, 2004

Crafty hobbies

While I was loading the dishwasher today I was thinking. In the past few years I have tended to pick up crafty hobbies. In college, I took up scrapbooking and cross-stitching. Last year, I began knitting.

Actually, I picked up crafty hobbies when I was younger too. There was the painting with the mini canvases and acrylic paint, the shirt decorating, the polymer clay sculpting, and the collage making.

Apparently I have a need to express myself creatively, and I have a limited attention span when it comes to crafty hobbies. The newest phase is only a desire so far. I want to sew. I want a sewing machine. Part of me justifies this by thinking that every woman who plans on having a family should have a sewing machine and know how to sew just a little. But the other part of me sees purses like this one, or this one, or this pillowcase skirt, or these aprons, and I just think - "I want to make that."

But I already have a bunch of knitting stuff in my closet and I want more. Besides the previously mentioned and now abandoned hobbies for which supplies were purchased. It just doesn't seem right to take up another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it!! Keep several crafty hobbies going. You may leave one for a little while and then come back to it after a time. As I told you I wish I could go back to some of the sewing crafts I did in early marriage and parenthood. (Though I have had no desire to sew on a machine--ever! Seventh grade home economics took care of any ambitions in that area). A great goal to head toward. Just wish I had a machine to give you.

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered your Blog and find it very iteresting. There is much to be said for learning to sew. I can remember the time not so long ago that my wife sewed for her self an her daughter. Outside interest are essential I feel for a well balanced life. Right now I am trying to learn about 1st century Jewish life in order to understand Jesus in that context. As a student of religion perhaps you can recommend a good source. Please keep posting.