Monday, September 13, 2004

My weekend

I just realized that I've been sitting in an empty school library for almost two hours. It's nice that I'm getting paid to check my e-mail, but I wish I could be doing librarian-y things. I would even happily shelve books. But...since I won't be doing any of that, I'll write about my weekend. This was the first weekend since Matt and I moved to GA that we had to ourselves. No visitors (though we enjoyed you all - Rick, Lydia, Will, John, Matt's mom, Randa). No extra work for Matt. No going off to visit family.

I was very excited about this weekend that was ours. I came up with the plan to hike Glen Falls, eat a picnic lunch, and spend the afternoon in nearby Highlands, NC. The three Falls were beautiful and we very much enjoyed the hike down. The hike back up the steep trail was more than I bargained for. Seems I always overestimate my fitness. We made up for it by sipping delicous frozen chai from Buck's Coffee Cafe.

Sunday morning we were back in Highlands to visit First Baptist Church of Highlands. It was very nice, but small, and overall, not the church for us. Lunch was at a barbeque joint as we were on our way to beautiful Sapphire, NC for The Offering, a sort of mini-festival featuring worship artists. For ten bucks we got to hang out on a really beautiful grassy hillside by a lake with mountain views and enjoy some very good music. We mainly wanted to see Shane and Shane, who did a fantastic set under the stars. I also enjoyed Todd Agnew and Charlie Hall. I have to say that it has been a long time since my corporate worship through song felt so joyful, and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Boo to the Subway in Cashiers, NC for running out of bread when several hungry youth groups descended on them. If you are a sandwich place, bread is important, is it not?

No comments: